João Manuel Mota Barroso (2002 – Present)
• Current Adega Cooperativa de Borba’s President.
• Degree in Agricultural Engineering/Agrarian Sciences and PhD in Agricultural Sciences/Phytotechnics.
• Professional Experience: University Professor in Évora.
• José Manuel Barroso decided to contribute to the strengthening of the Adega Cooperativa de Borba instead of creating his own winery.
• The connection to Adega Cooperativa de Borba happened through the family Agricultural Society.
• He became President on April 22nd, 2002.
Main events during his mandate
• His mandate started with new investments to expand the winery facilities and to increase the winemaking and fermentation capacities. On the other hand, he implemented the HACCP quality control system and the ISO 9001:2000 certificate. Besides, Adega Cooperativa de Borba got new bottling lines, improved its information system, and renewed its institutional image.
• The main challenge of his first four years as a President was the professionalization of the winery, including the management itself. So, to guarantee the quality of the final product, he established strict criteria for valuing the grapes, which, if not complied with, would cause heavy penalties.
• The new Adega store was opened in October 2002, a wider space, to boost direct sales and to promote its institutional image.
• During this period Adega Cooperativa de Borba launched new products: mono and bi-varietals.
• In the 2003 harvest more than 20,000,000 tons of grapes were received at the winery.
• From 2000 to 2004, there were several awards, medals, and distinctions delivered by national and international competitions, and by the first wine magazines in the market.
• After 19 years, he is still Adega Cooperativa de Borba’s President.